Paper, plastic and aluminum cups are now accepted in Rumpke's recycling program. Effective immediately, Rumpke Waste & Recycling will accept disposable paper, plastic and aluminum cups. Recent innovations in paper and plastic recycling have resulted in commitments from end-users to accept and recycle more material. Paper mills have pledged to recycle paper cups and advancements in plastic recycling have increased the demand for additional types of plastic products.
Examples of acceptable cups include paper and plastic beverage cups from fast-food restaurants (Starbucks, McDonalds, etc.), plastic souvenir cups and Ball brand aluminum cups. Additional guidelines include:
- Plastic lids should be reattached to plastic cups.
- Plastic lids from paper cups should be removed and discarded.
- Straws and stoppers are not accepted.
- Colorful Solo Brand cups are not accepted. In fact, they can be damaging to the glass recovery process.
- K-cups are not accepted.
- Paper cups are not accepted in Northeast Ohio where Rumpke partners with a third party processor to process material.
Paper cups processed at Rumpke's recycling facilities will be made into cardboard and paperboard products, plastic cups will be used to make new plastic containers and aluminum cups will be made into aluminum cans.